In this article, you will learn everything you should know about SSL certificates by understanding how they work, the main types of SSL, the basis of certificates and validation, who needs an SSL, and where you can get SSL for your website.
SSL commonly abbreviated as, Secure Sockets Layer, is a globally defined standard technology enabling a secured and encrypted communication among browsers and web servers. You might have seen https:// written before numerous websites where this https actually stand for a secured http server claiming that the same website is secured with SSL. The same SSL certificate is used all over the world globally by numerous businessmen for their businesses to protect their sensitive and secret data i.e. credit card information, online banking passwords, usernames, emails, and much more. When you buy some website, you can purchase SSL with it and many companies offer free SSL when you buy SSL certificate from them. If you individually and separately go for the same, you need to pay SSL certificate price, which is normally 10$ a year but may vary as per provider’s choice.
How Does SSL work?
Contents of the Article
Before making the best use of the same, you need to create a secure connection. For this, you need a digital certificate or an SSL certificate installation. You should install the same on your web server where the same will serve you with two major features.
- It will verify and authenticate website identity, which assures website visitors that they are on right platform and are not visiting some spam pr bogus interface
- It will encrypt all of the data, which is transmitted among server and browser
Three Main Types of SSL
SSL certificates are all not same as there are numerous types as per domain names or sub domains owned by you.
- If you are owning a fully-qualified domain or a subdomain, single SSL will suit you best
- If you own a single domain but multiple subdomains (unlimited), you can make the best use of wildcard SSL
- If you own multiple domain names, multi-domain SSL will be offered to you as per your needs
Certificates on Validation Basis
Some of the SSL certificates are offered on basis of validations i.e. domain, extended, or organization validation levels.
- Domain validation level is less expensive covering basic encryption and domain’s ownership verification. The same certificate takes very less time to activate
- In addition to verify basic encryption as well as domain validation, the organization validation SSL validates owner personal details too i.e. contact number, email, name,. address etc. The certificate takes few hours to get activated and sometimes days too
- Last validation SSL type is extended validation SSL, which is the most expensive and secured version of the same. It provides enhanced security features performing a thorough examination and security checks before certificate issuance. The same is mentioned in terms and agreements too when it is issues. Domain ownership, registration, authentication, and legal and physical existence is also verified and checked appropriately. The same takes several weeks to get activated as per the process length
Who Needs SSL?
Any individual, business, or organization who use their web platforms to collect user information needs SSL certificate where the data may include emails, username, passwords, personal data, address, details, credit card information, PayPal information, logins, financial information, bank account information, personal data, birth dates, addresses, security numbers, proprietary information, legal documentations, contracts, client lists, medical records, or any form of related data, which may be required, received, collected, processed, stored, displayed, or stolen.
Where Can You Get SSL?
This is the most important factor to consider. This is because SSL source has to be identified i.e. where it has come from. Like if you are in a Singapore, you will need SSL certificate Singapore and will be provided with the same (if you buy from the same region). Usually, when you get website or a hosting, you are offered free with the same and you don’t need to purchase SSL beforehand. Normally, it is for an year only and after an year, you have to purchase SSL when you for renewal (in most cases). You can buy SSL certificate with discount maybe if you continue with the same company for the said renewal offering you the less SSL certificate price maybe (not always).
Major origin of SSL certificates is CAs i.e. Certificate Authorities, which are the concerned local organizations in your area dealing perfectly with the same and are fully trusted and verified for being an entity of SSL provider. Their primary role is to accept SSL applications, authenticate them as per choices requested, issue certificates as per approvals, and maintain the best security and status information on issues ones. One can also buy the same from any domain name registrar or hosting providers (as said earlier).
Please Note: You need to choose right SSL provider in any case to avoid any hassles and issues. If something goes wrong, you may get trapped and regret later. Please be aware that normally user’s browsers normally consist of cached data of CAs on hand, hence, if any digital certificate is signed by an entity or organization or a business, which is not an actually approved one, browser may send warning immediately saying that website may be harmful and may not be trustable. You better need NOT to browse the same or enter any secret info there to save yourself from any loss, which may take place anytime without your consent.
How Do Visitors Know Your Site Has SSL?
Normally, users visit the website and come to know the same has SSL or not. If even someone less knowledgeable comes and doesn’t know or want to know; you should mention everything in your about us firstly. Moreover, there are few other clues to get users informed.
- Mention somewhere in the content that you have SSL and show left of URL to them in screenshot i.e. https URL prefix (you can display or show marked)
- A trust seal is always provided when SSL is issues and is available to users always
- Address bar is green showing and verifying the trustworthiness of website (this is only for EV SSL certificate)
- You can use any SSL checker tool online to verify if you have SSL. The same you can do as a user too.
Are you ready to start marketing your business online? Read the Online Marketing Guide for Beginners.
Want to learn more about affiliate programs for your affiliate site? Learn the Top 4 Affiliate Marketing Mistakes and their solutions.