There are some things you didn’t know about Daymond John. Today we’re looking at entrepreneur, businessman, author, motivational speaker and investor Daymond John. As we promised we’re continuing our series on the Shark Tank entrepreneurs.
Biography of Daymond John
Contents of the Article
Daymond was born on February 23rd 1969 in the Queens Borough of New York City. He is best known for being the founder and CEO of the clothing brand FUBU which stands for us by us. He said he saw a void in the market of clothing for inner-city kids and he used the selling skills.
He was taught by his mother to start creating hats and shirts. His brand got recognition from being worn in several popular music videos and it would eventually become a multi-billion dollar company. He has starred in the popular television show Shark tank since 2009 and also runs his own entrepreneurial workshop called the Daymond John Academy.
Additionally, he is a very in-demand motivational speaker and has written three books called Display of power the brand within and the power of broke. He has two daughters Yasmine and Destiny with his ex-wife and has a baby daughter named Minka with his fiancée. Let’s get to a few things you didn’t know about Daymond John.
- He declined his first two offers to appear on Shark Tank Daymond has been on Shark Tank since its first season in 2009. But at first, it took some convincing Mark Burnett personally called Daymond with an offer to be on the show. But he says he declined as soon as he found out he would have to invest his own money. The second time an offer was made Daymond would not sign the contract because he had already made an agreement with the Kardashians that he would mentor them.
On their reality show, he says it was actually the Kardashians that convinced him he should do the show number two he ran FUBU while still working at Red Lobster Daymond started FUBU with $40. It eventually grew into a six billion dollar business the basis of the business began in 1989 with him and a couple of his friends making hats at his mom’s house and selling them on the streets of New York City.
- Even after the company started gaining recognition and his products have been worn in several music videos Damon continued working at Red Lobster while building his business. He said his routine was to so pack and ship his product in the morning and then start his shift as a waiter in the afternoon.
- He blew his first 20 million Damon says that when he first became successful he got so caught up in the millionaire lifestyle that he stopped being a good husband and father. He said it was only after he blew through his first twenty or thirty million dollars that his wife divorced him and he started getting back on the right path.
- LL Cool J helped save his FUBU business between 1989 and 1992. Daymond had to shut down FUBU three times when he ran out of capital even after his mother had mortgaged her house for $100,000 to get startup funds a breakthrough for the company came. When LL Cool J who was from the same neighborhood as Damon wore a FUBU hat in the 1999 gap commercial and slipped the company’s logo for us by us into his rap gaff had no idea they were giving free advertising to FUBU at the time.
But when they figured it out a month later they pulled the commercial and fired the ad execs who were responsible.
- He invested in a company that sells gold covered beef jerky if you want to try some of the most expensive beef jerkies in the world check out the company Daymond invested $100,000 in on Shark Tank called the Three jerks. This company which claims to sell original filet mignon jerky has come up with the concept of the golden meatballs for five hundred dollars you can buy this aluminum case that comes with a two-ounce bag of 24 karats edible gold filet mignon jerky.
Daymond John a Dedicated Motivational Speaker and Entrepreneur
He is dyslexic although Daymond had trouble reading and writing as a child he was not formally diagnosed with dyslexia until he was an adult. It was a release today Minh to finally have an explanation for why he had difficulty reading off a teleprompter spelling words and emails and following the directions on his GPS studies have shown that dyslexia is much more common among entrepreneurs with about 35% having the condition as compared to 3% of the general population Daymond is in good company.
His fellow sharks Barbara Cochran and Kevin O’Leary are also dyslexic number seven he became an entrepreneur at the age of six when Daymond was six years old he noticed that when other boys in the class liked a girl they would kick them and pulled her hair.
He thought of a way to make some money while also getting on the good side of the girls in his class he would scrape the paint off pencils he stole from the other boys and paint girls names on them and sell them he said the principal had no vision at all and made him shut down his first business after only one month.
Daymond John Net Worth
As a talented superstar Daymond John Net Worth crossing 300 million US dollars. He has a 1.5 million honey bees when a company called Bee thinking came on Shark Tank with their idea of selling beehives. Daymond was struck by their claim that people could only live on the planet for four years after the honey bee goes extinct.
He bought the hive they brought with them on the spot and expanded his collection from there to his current 1.5 million honeybees.
He got engaged on the set of Shark Tank in 2016 Daymond proposed to his longtime girlfriend Heather Tara. He invited her to the set of Shark Tank on their last day of filming and popped the question in front of everyone.
He said he was very nervous because it was the first time he had to make a pitch in the shark tank Heather was holding their six-month-old daughter Minka in her arms when she said yes.
That were a few things about Daymond John we shared with you. His life is full of motivation and a good example for struggling entrepreneurs.
Daymond John Social Media Activist
Daymond John is more brand than an individual. His social media journey started almost 11 years ago. Daymond joined Twitter on Sep 2008 and tweeted more than 32,000 times. He followed 761 people and his followers are more than 655K.
On Facebook, the like score has crossed 582K people. And same is the case on Instagram where he is followed by 792K followers. Daymond John’s official website is daymondondemand.com where he placed some videos regarding motivation and entrepreneurship. On the website, he also providing shark media resources.